What is Happiness? Learn How To Spread The Cheer
One day while travelling by bus, out of curiosity, I wanted to read the facial expressions of my fellow passengers. To my surprise, I couldn’t find a single smiling face. Everyone was a reflection of stress, tension and worries.
There was no sign of happiness. It seemed to me as if everyone was fighting within themselves rather than enjoying what happiness they might find inside. Because happiness can’t be found outside (it is already inside us), I like to think of happiness as a “profit without investment.”
What is happiness?
Happiness is something I think cannot really be defined. It is a personal feeling that is a summation of things like peace of mind, contentment and affection. Happiness is a condition which can be felt but not explained. It is a gift that can be given to someone without regard of price or size.
Happiness is a butterfly which, when pursued, is always just beyond your grasp, but which if you sit down quietly, may alight upon you. ~ Nathaniel Hawthorne (Tweet this)
Happiness is like a flower that spreads fragrance without effort and without being asked, and in the same way, a happy person can only spread happiness.
How to be happy?
What is happiness? Is it materialism? We live under a notion that happiness is dependent on materialistic elements. People who believe that happiness can only come from money or success, live under an illusion. Real happiness comes from inside and not from external world. How do we know? If happiness were external then the same item that made one person happy would make us all happy. Yet this is not the case. Only you can say what makes you happy, and only you can know if you are happy or not.
To be happy try the following steps:
1. Welcome each day as it comes.
2. Stop worrying, because most of the things you fear will never happen anyway. Remember the song, “Don’t worry, be happy,” and do likewise.
3. Live in the present. You can’t change the past and you don’t know the future, so enjoy your present.
4. See the positive side of every situation.
5. Try to look for solutions rather than just problems.
6. Never compare yourself with others. Some things they will be better at, and other things you will be better at.
7. Appreciate other’s qualities instead of noticing their faults.
8. Limit your desires rather than following them blindly.
9. Let go of anger or grudges. Negative thoughts will only hurt you and no one else, so avoid them.
10. Lastly accept God’s decision. Things will always work out to your benefit.
Why is it necessary to spread happiness?
Now that we can answer the question of “what is happiness,” should we spread it around? Today’s changing lifestyle and competitive culture has led to jealousy, hatred, selfishness, stress, frustration, suicide, split-families and many diseases. All these have left no space for inner peace and calmness.
We have forgotten to laugh or sometimes even smile. We have forgotten that a small act of goodness can spread happiness and bring us happiness in abundance.
What can we do to spread it?
Always wear a smile. The gift of life will then be yours to give. ~ Rabbi Nachman (Tweet this)
Again, I ask you, now that we can answer the question of “what is happiness,” how, do we spread it around? As happiness has become a rare feeling in this world, let us try our very best to spread it by doing small gestures that will bring happiness to everyone’s life. For example:
1. Listen patiently to the problems of people that might be old and lonely. It will bring a smile to their face which will bring immense happiness to both you and them.
2. Greet a physically-challenged person with smile. A smile will help you both to spread happiness.
3. Volunteer your time, effort and money to serve the poor or destitute.
4. Help your neighbor in need.
5. Give a cup of hot tea to a homeless person shivering from the cold.
6. Be kind towards your servants as kindness is a holy act towards humanity.
7. Love and let love. Live, and let live.
This blog post: what is happiness has been only the beginning for you. Find more reading on happiness, here: what you need to be happy
Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared. ~ Buddha (Tweet this)
The moment we were born we started spreading happiness, so why not keep the spark of happiness going till the last breath. When those around you ask the question, what is happiness… let them always remember your name as the answer, and may you always be the “messenger of light” they need.