How to buy a Used Car
Travelling from one place to another for work, shopping, holiday, etc. has become an integral part of life today. If you ask people who have started their career recently, “What is that one thing you want to buy first?”
Most of them would reply, “A CAR.” They are usually smart enough to know that it is more affordable to buy used, but beyond that they do not often know what steps to take. Before buying a used car, you should do a little bit of research to make sure that you are truly getting your money’s worth.
Everyone loves to enjoy the comfort and luxury of owning a car. But, it is not possible for everyone to afford it. For those who find it out of their budget, buying a secondhand car comes as a good option.
It is not heavy on your pocket plus, it gives you the joy of owning a four wheeler as well.
But, one has to be extra careful while investing or buying a used car as it may be risky at times to invest your money without a proper investigation of the vehicle.
Patrick and Ana decided to buy a car soon after their marriage. However, since both of them started their career only a year ago and a lot of money went into their wedding, they cannot afford to buy a new car.
They have decided to buy a used car but, since it would be their first four wheeler, they are confused if they will get a good one or not. Their friend, Dhruv, helped them by introducing them to a mechanic who helped them get a good deal.
If you are also thinking of buying a used car, make sure you take care of the following points :
1. Finalize your budget – Before you start hunting for a car, it is very important for you to have a budget for buying. Figure out the amount you want to spend and if you need a loan for the necessary amount, make sure you are in a condition to get it approved.
2. Focus on what you need and not what catches your fancy – When you are buying a used car, it becomes possible for you to buy a big, luxury car for the price of a small new car. There are chances that your attention will deviate from your needs to your desires and you will end up buying something that is not required and also is high on maintenance.
3. Check for the best available option in your budget – Do a bit of research on the car sellers and the cars that are available for you to buy. Buy a car which is still being made (and from a large manufacturer), so that its spare parts are easily available, if required.
4. Check the engine – The most important thing in a car is its engine. Check for any kind of leakage or damage. Preferably, take a mechanic with you who can take care of this for you, so that you are assured that you are investing in the right vehicle.
5. History is important – Give preference to a car with a fully documented service history. It will help you find out about any previous damage or accidents. Also, you will be able to figure out if the car has been properly maintained or not.
6. Test Ride – Make sure you take it for a test drive. It will help you check the engine, its noise and vibration, the brakes, turning, suspension and how comfortable the car is for you while driving.
8. Documentation – The documents of the vehicle must be proper and updated. Check for the year it was made, the car color, and registration details. Everything has to be in place before you buy the car.
9. Look for scratches – When you are examining the car, carefully check for any kind of scratches and mild damage to the exterior body of the car so that it can be rectified before hand and it does not spoil the beauty of your vehicle.
10. Negotiate – As you are buying a used car, there is always a scope of negotiating and getting a good deal. If you are getting a discount by the dealer or owner that seems to good to be true, do not get carried away, there might be something suspicious.
Do not hesitate to ask and verify all the elements yourself as buying a car is a long-term investment and involves lot of money. Do not “seal the deal” till you are completely satisfied.
Buying a used car is cheaper and affordable option for those who find it heavy on their pockets to invest in a new one. It demands research, knowledge and awareness.
Even when the deal is sealed, you should check the car once again before taking the delivery and ensure that if the dealer or owner had promised for any corrections or modifications, they are done.
If you act wisely and carefully decide, then you can get a good deal and a loyal companion for your travel and journeys. Happy Driving!!!