A baby monitor is a device that helps parents stay aware of baby’s activities even if they are not in the same room. This is very useful at night when baby and parents are sleeping in different rooms.
Parents can hear or see their baby whenever they want or when baby wakes up to be fed or to be changed. You also have the freedom in daytime to complete all your chores during baby’s naptime.
To buy the most suitable baby monitor device for your needs, you need to consider a few important factors. Use these tips before buying a baby monitor.
Baby Monitor Buying Guide
The choice of baby monitor device depends upon the location of the baby’s room and your rooms, the type of building you are living in, how much do you want to spend and what extra features you want.
If your room is at a considerable distance from baby’s room and there are cement walls in between, you should purchase a baby monitor having stronger transmitter. A device having audio/video monitor is better option if you want to hear and see your baby. Here are some of the different types of baby monitor devices available in the market.
Types of Baby Monitor Devices
1. Audio Monitors:
This is the basic device that has a transmitter in the baby’s room and you can take receiver wherever you go in the house. Some devices have two receivers for both parents to listen.
2. Audio & Video monitors:
This type of device has three components; a transmitter that is placed in the room, a pad and a receiver. The pad is place under the baby’s mattress to know about the baby’s movement and breathing.
3. Audio & movement monitor:
This type of monitor allows you to hear as well as see your baby. It has a transmitter, a camera and a small television or handheld television. The camera is placed near the baby’s crib. Some more advanced devices have infrared camera that lets you see your baby even in dark.
Consider these when buying a baby monitor device
1. Advanced Technology Device
When choosing baby monitor device, look at the frequency level. There are devices with low bandwidth such as 40 MHz to devices with high bandwidth having 900 mhz or up. High frequency devices offer better clarity of sound. However, these devices also catch sounds from other devices such as cordless phones, mobile phones and others.
2. Power Source
Since the transmitters and receivers in these devices are moved around in the entire house, they are battery operated. Look for the models having A/C adapters or having rechargeable batteries or be ready to buy many batteries.
3. Baby Monitor Range
Range of the baby monitor does matters. If you have small house, you can do with any baby monitor. However, if you are living in a larger or multistoried house, you should look for baby monitor device with larger range. It may help you take your receiver even outside to the garden or garage and let you hear the baby’s voice.
Some useful features
- Low battery indicator is a useful feature to have in your baby monitor as it will remind you to replace or recharge the batteries.
- Baby monitor with multiple channels will help you find a channel with a frequency that catches the least amount of interference.
- There are sound activated light indicators in the receiver, which are activated every time they detect noise. It is helpful when you are involved in a work that prevents you from hearing the baby’s cries.
- Volume adjustment is another good feature to have in the device when you do not want to hear every sound your baby makes or just want to reduce the volume.
- Devices with double receivers are useful when both parent want to have one receiver each or if you want to keep one in the room and keep the other one with you when you are moving around.
Do not ignore safety Tips
Though baby monitor is a harmless device, you should follow some common safety tips to avoid any mishap.
- Be sure to keep all the components of the device such as adapters, transmitters or cords, away from the baby’s reach.
- Do not use monitor near kitchen or bathroom.
- Your baby is precious; do not leave safety of your baby to an only device. Make sure you do not leave your baby unattended for long intervals.