An increase in juvenile crime rate, pregnancy in adolescent masses, embezzlements, abuse and self-annihilation are results of degradation of moral values in the new generation.
Children are parent’s valuable assets and every parent dreams to make their children a responsible person. Besides giving good education, imparting moral values is extremely important.The need of the hour is to acknowledge the magnitude of imparting good values in children so that they can differentiate between right or wrong.
Teach moral values by being their role models
To make your children responsible society members, teach them the moral values like honesty, loyalty, respect, self reliance, self discipline, patience, kindness, gratitude, forgiveness, personal responsibilities and courtesy.
These values help in developing a strong personality of child and that minimizes the possibility of getting them astray.It is said that from the age of 5-6 children start differentiating between right or wrong and the first lesson comes from parents. They see their parents as role models and try to follow their footsteps.
There are little eyes upon you and they’re watching night and day;
There are little ears that quickly take in every word you say;
There are little hands all eager to do everything you do;
And a little child who’s dreaming of the day he will be like you.
Set an example by following examples that you want your children to follow. Be honest if you want them to be honest.
All time preaching irritates the child. With the growing age grasping power of the children develops manifolds. They become keen observers and do exactly what their parents do. So be careful in every act of your behavior while maintaining social and personal relations.
Few easy steps to impart moral values
By imparting moral values, parents play a dominant role in molding the attitude and approaches of children in their life. Here are a few easy steps to achieve this.
- Narrate patriotic, religious or ethical stories. Question them about the lesson they have learnt.
- Be polite, respectful and considerate towards others. So that child may learn to manage sweetness of relations.
- Media exposure is playing a major role in our life. While watching news or movie discuss about the different aspects and ask the child what he/she would have done in that situation. This will develop a sense of reasoning in children.
- While performing religious activities involve the child in little act. It generates faith and trust towards God.
- Listen respectfully to your child’s ideas and wherever required correct them. This will boost their self confidence.
- Spend quality time with children. The quality of time that you spend with your children has a close effect on what they grow up into.
- Provide opportunities for your children to help others. This will instill in them generosity.
- Involve your child in community volunteer services. It will generate the attitude of serving.
- Tell your child about the people you admire and why. It will silently inculcate good qualities.
- Comment on compassionate behavior. Let your child know that caring is an important moral value.
Conclusion – Moral Values
Let us not forget our roots. It is the responsibility of every parent to pass on the invaluable treasure of moral values to their children so that tomorrow they will pass on these to the next generation. This continues process will give our society, honest, trustworthy, patriotic, faithful, lovable and good human beings and that day will be the realization of our dreams in true sense.